College Counseling and Consultation Advanced Practicum Program
The Chicago School partners with Chicago-area schools and universities to provide counseling and outreach services to students without access to these services. Currently, Advanced Practicum students in the Clinical Psy.D. program work onsite at John Marshall Law School (JMLS) and/or Harrington College of Design (HCD) to provide individual, group, and couples counseling; psycho-educational programming; and outreach for students at these schools. In addition, the Advanced Practicum students consult with school faculty and staff and provide training on mental health-related issues.
- The program provides the unique opportunity to gain experience in college counseling, consultation, and program design and development.
- Advanced practicum students are involved in consultative tasks, such as managing relationships with JMLS staff and faculty, providing needs assessments, evaluating outcomes, gaining exposure to how decisions are made relevant to structuring clinical programs, and other administrative issues in clinical work.
- The ideal applicant should be able to work independently without immediate onsite supervision, as both the supervisory and administrative functions are managed at The Chicago School campus.
- The consultative components of the experience require the student to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills for maintaining good rapport with site staff at all levels.
- A self-motivated student with initiative will be most successful for the program design portion of the experience.
- Students receive both individual and group weekly supervision, as well as didactics training related to college mental health issues and related clinical topics.
How to Apply
- The program abides by ACEPT guidelines
- Send a letter of interest, your CV, transcript and 3 letters of recommendation to:
Dr. Heather Sheets
Director of Training Consortia
325 N. Wells St. Suite 310
Chicago, IL 60654
- Contact the Applied Professional Practice (APP) at 312.410.8958 for more information about the application process deadlines
- Additional site detail is available through the APP Field Placement Database—search for John Marshall Law School